[IRCServices] IRC Services 5.1 Features

Vjeko Konc vjeko at starfriend.com
Wed Jul 14 11:01:51 PDT 2004

Andrew Church wrote:
 >     Channel memos is one thing I've been meaning to revisit for a while;
 >thanks for reminding me.  The channel memo system is a major hack as is,
 >with no notification or anything else that can be done for nicknames.  So
 >let me pose a question:  What would you (anyone feel free to reply) want to
 >use channel memos for?  In what cases would you want to send a memo to a
 >channel, and who would you want to read the memo?  I've got a few redesign
 >possibilities in mind, but to avoid leading questions, I won't mention them
 >right now; just assume channel memos could do anything you want, and tell
 >me what you'd want them to do.

As it is now I use channel memos as a bulletin board for my ops, leaving
messages about anything I feel they might need to know; who was banned
lately and why, major changes to the channel's access list, or just basic
and/or channel policy reminders. Highly usable.

What I'd like to see at some point is a way to check if a memo sent to an
individual have been read, as well as a channel memo notification for
everyone with the required access.

Under the assumption that channel memos could do anything, I'd have the
option to send a persistent notification to my ops notifying them every
time they come online, or at least each time they come into the channel in
question, that they have unread channel memos waiting until they've
actually read all new memos. Maybe by flagging certain memos as important
somehow, e.g. SEND {nickname | channel} [flag] memo-text.

Vjeko Konc

---
When cryptography is outlawed,
bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.