[IRCServices] +O overrideable by non-opers in UnrealIRCd netmerge

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Sat Aug 14 14:45:47 PDT 2004

Craig McLure wrote:
> Please Note: This 'bug' has been pointed out to the Unreal team, however, there responce (in their own words) was: "get services" (yodaone) and "This is what services are for. I mean then we need to implement the same thing for +k, for +b, etc. And soon enough, you're creating more problems than you solved. Have services take care of it." (codemastr).
>
> During a netmerge, if one side of the split has +O on a channel and the other doesnt, a non-oper can sit on the side without +O and when the net merges, force his way into the opers only channel. Its easily reproduced, and can be a quite annoying problem, if enough people join while the net is split.
>
> So, i'm officially requesting that this feature be added to Services. I'm not entirly sure how you will be able to identify a local oper, but i'm sure you will find a

When a local oper opers up, there is nothing sent to the rest of the
network. There is no way to do this - it has to be either a change to
the IRCd to send local oper changes, or to upgrade the person to a full
global oper.

You should ideally not use the +O mode, and instead use invite-only with
ChanServ - this way ChanServ will kick out any people not permitted in
the channel if they somehow got in, and you don't need to bother with
the other stuff. You could set +O as well, of course.

Chris

--
Chris Jenkinson
chris at starglade.org