[IRCServices] Services 5.0.42 error in compiling

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Sun Dec 5 12:21:37 PST 2004

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 06:42:57PM +0000, Craig McLure wrote:
> As a note, what was said about FreeBSD 5.x being unstable seems to just be an excuse NOT to update, 5.x is currently more stable than 4.x and seeing as they are classed as official releases, i doubt the FreeBSD teams would release unstable distros with -RELEASE assigned to them.

I disagree.

We did unstable releases with 5.0-RELEASE, 5.1-RELEASE, 5.2-RELEASE, and 5.2.1-RELEASE.
These were considered "Early Adopter" releases.

While it is classed as a "normal" release, 5.3-RELEASE is still the very
first "stable" release of FreeBSD 5.x. The migration process from 4.x to
5.x is not exactly trivial, and there is still at least one more FreeBSD
4.x release scheduled tentatively for the first month or two of next year.
It is justifiable that some would choose to sit out on 5.3 and wait for
more stabilization of FreeBSD 5. There is still considerable work going
on in HEAD that will make or has made its way back into RELENG_5.

FreeBSD 5.3 is still less stable than 4.x under some conditions, most
notably is ACPI. There is still a lot of locking going on as well, and one
might find it to be slower than FreeBSD 4.x, especially on uniprocessor
enviornments. This is being worked on in HEAD. Currently, work is underway
to push Giant down deeper into filesystems and VFS, not to mention other
places such as the network stack.

One thing worth mentioning is that FreeBSD 4.9 is no longer supported by
the FreeBSD Security Officer. It might be worth your time suggesting to
your colocation provider that they upgrade to FreeBSD 4.10 since it will be
supported through May 31, 2006 and is a mostly painless upgrade. The
FreeBSD Security Officer has a page showing all supported releases and the
dates they will be supported through. You can find that page here:
     http://www.FreeBSD.org/security/

That said, I think I've strayed off the topic of this list enough.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org