[IRCServices] RE: my recent feature request

youph at earthlink.net youph at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 11 22:25:41 PST 2005

Craig McLure wrote:

> heh, i think we are all still recovering from christmas, i've not seen
> many posts here over that season.
>
> I personally (and i think andy would have the same responce, i've
> gotten to know him over the past few years), would shoot down this
> idea, it has quite a large potential to be abused, if you write a
> patch, ensure only specific IPs can issue the command, otherwise you
> will have users just making scripts which periodicly register nicks,
> and you'll only become suspicious when your nick.db is 3gigs big :p
>
> My approach would be a seperate module, which deals with the command,
> whether its an 'extention' to nickserv with a new command, or a
> completly new service which manages it (The second is the method we
> used for our web interface), that way, you could also publish your
> work, and give the others the benifit of your experiance (but ofc,
> thats up to you).
>
> As for a feature request 'process', just post ideas to the list, they
> will be read over, if not responded too.
>
> /****************************************
>  *     Craig "FrostyCoolSlug" McLure
>  *       Craig at FrostyCoolSlug.com
>  * InspIRCd   - http://www.inspircd.org
>  * ChatSpike  - http://www.chatspike.net
>  ****************************************/
>
> youph at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> I'm just wondering if there is any 'official' feature request process
>> or if Andrew Church just takes what he likes from this list into
>> account when adding new features. I do appreciate Anton Wolkov's
>> input, but I was hoping for a response from the developer at least
>> either agreeing with or shooting down my idea/request.
>>
>> Maybe I should roll up my sleeves and write a patch myself (sigh.)
>>
>> --Matt

Craig,

I think you have the wrong idea concerning how I would implement the
feature I requested. Let me rephrase my idea/request.

I would like the ability for Services Admins to be able to set a user
password using an MD5 hash, when using MD5 encrypted passwords with
services. Normally, a user registers a nick and provides a plaintext
password. This plaintext pass is then hashed and stored in the db (if
encryption is enabled which I am saying is true in this instance.) I
would like the ability for Services Admins to be able to *directly* set
this parameter in a nick record. I.E. I would like to be able to change
the *hashed* passwords of users. The only command for dealing with MD5
passwords is resetting. It would seem trivial to add the ability to
simply overwrite the MD5 hash parameter in the nick record. The reason
being I am trying to automate a registration process that starts with a
web forum registration and will (hopefully) also register a nick name on
IRC for the user. I would only have the MD5 hash of the user's password
though, which leads me to this request.

I don't see *any* abuse potential as this command extension would be
restricted to Service Admins, I think you just were confused by my
description.

--Matt