[IRCServices] Database WAS: out of buffer?

Everett B. Simonds kfiresun at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 27 10:24:14 PST 2005

I don't really for see the need to embed a whole SQL engine into
services.  I have looked at some of the database code in there and I'm
wondering if the system would benefit from having some sort of write
behind log so that services doesn't burn time rewriting the whole
database every time it flushes them out to disk.  This would certainly
help those who have a significantly sized user base.  This would also
eliminate the need to have two copies of the database on disk while it
writes it out, good for those who might be strapped for disk space.

If you're going to embed any sort of database option into services, you
might as well use the Berkeley DB system from Sleepy Cat.  No need to
get fancy with an SQL parser/optimizer for something like this,
especially when all you're doing is a simple SELECT or INSERT/UPDATE
with no joins.

Though I'm all for a nice home grown solution as well.

Kelmar K. Firesun (Bryce Simonds)
Co-admin: dream.esper.net