[IRCServices] OperServ help

Craig McLure Craig at frostycoolslug.com
Tue Jul 26 20:06:10 PDT 2005

Om wrote:
> Terry wrote:
>
>> I want to give a user as much perms as possible so i can admin the
>> server from work
>>
>> I did
>> /msg OperServ  OPER ADD user
>>
>> That use the other end then logged in and did
>>
>> /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password
>>
>> Then tried to
>> /msg operserv USERLIST as an example which gave permission  denied.
>>
>> In the logs it shows
>>
>> [Jul 26 22:32:29 2005] operserv/main: Non-oper user at blah sent: USERLIST.
>>
>> So i am not quite sure where the problem lays.
>> I think this is what i need.
>>
>> *F.6. Trying to use OperServ gives me "Access denied", but my nick is
>> in the ServicesRoot directive and is registered, and I've identified
>> for my nick.*
>>
>>   You need to be opered (i.e. user mode +o from using /oper; this is
>>   different from channel operator mode) to access OperServ.
>>
>> But i dont under stand this part ( user mode +o from using /oper; t )
>>   Cheers

> When you use your IRCd's /oper command (/oper opernick operpass) then
> the IRCd sets the usermode +o on you.
> OperServ is denying access to all users that don't have the +o usermode,
> even if they are svsopers, so to use OperServ you need +o set on you.
> Which you get by /oper ing :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Om
In addition, i think this is a security measure, in the event that
someone 'cracked' my nickserv password (no matter how secure it is) they
would still need my operator password to be able to do anything remotly
dangerous (remembering that services can provide override, kill, kick,
ban, op people when you are a services admin), imagine the chaos a
compromised password could cause ;)

  *     Craig "FrostyCoolSlug" McLure
  *       Craig at FrostyCoolSlug.com
  * InspIRCd   - http://www.inspircd.org