[IRCServices] 4.x Database to 5.0 query

Krisstoffer webmaster at ircnews.co.uk
Sat Dec 15 07:29:07 PST 2007

Greetings,
We're running IRC Services 4.5.45 and have been running it for quite a
few years now. We are looking at doing an upgrade to the 5.0 version,
one of the main reasons for the upgrade is to better prevent "nick
collectors"

However we are uncertain on one thing, once we set a limit on allowed
registered nicknames, we are uncertain what will happen to those whom
have say 100 nicks.

idea being setting say the allowed nicks to 10 what will happen to those
with 100 nicks ? we have run over a few possible theories:
        1. it will drop there oldest nicks and retain 10 newest
        2. it will drop there newest nicks and retain 10 oldest
        3. it will go nuts and kill everything
        4. it will simply retain 4.x setup and allow those with the
        nicks to continue as they we're but with no ability to add to
        there collection, simply keep identifying them.
As yet we have not managed to get a clear grasp on what the database
conversion will do.. any hints would be appreciated.
--
Krisstoffer <webmaster at ircnews.co.uk>
IRCNews