[IRCServices] 4.x Database to 5.0 query

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Sun Dec 16 02:03:59 PST 2007

>We're running IRC Services 4.5.45 and have been running it for quite a
>few years now. We are looking at doing an upgrade to the 5.0 version,
>one of the main reasons for the upgrade is to better prevent "nick
>collectors"
>
>However we are uncertain on one thing, once we set a limit on allowed
>registered nicknames, we are uncertain what will happen to those whom
>have say 100 nicks.
[...]
>        4. it will simply retain 4.x setup and allow those with the
>        nicks to continue as they we're but with no ability to add to
>        there collection, simply keep identifying them.

Services takes this approach: no change will be made to the existing
databases, but users with more nicknames than the limit will no longer
be allowed to register or link new nicks until they ddrop some of the
old ones.

Also, if you're considering upgrading, I'd like to recommend going
directly to version 5.1 rather than 5.0; while there was admittedly a
bit of a fiasco earlier with a few security bugs, the current version
(5.1.10) should be stable, and I don't anticipate making any significant
changes at this point.  Either way, be sure to read the upgrade notes in
the Services manual (http://www.ircservices.za.net/docs/upgrade.html)
before upgrading, as there are several important changes to be aware of
between each version.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/