AW: [IRCServices Coding] Services Killing Unreal...

Yusuf Iskenderoglu uhc0 at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Mar 16 03:09:26 PST 2002

Hello;

I would suggest contacting Unreal coders also.
It looks like that services is sending a line, where unreal does expect
more parameteres than recevied. It probably goes through the code and
because of the missing parameter, it cores. (NULL pointer
reference)

You either have a coredump of the ircd, of which a backtrace would show
up which line was in a matter of being parsed, or you have the
services.log and you might see, if run with -debug, which was the last
line services sent, before the ircd cored.

With the help of a small fix in this case, Unreal will solve the problem
in their next beta version. But if you do not contact them...

You must also admit, that ircservices is not the source of the problem,
but the wrong coding in unreal ircd. This means, even if ircservices
will find a way not to cause this, the problem with the ircd would
persist. There are other ways (like RAW) which can be used to cause the
core. Because in general, no irc protocol message should lead into a
segfaulting ircd.

So again, you also ought to contact Unreal coders, so that they can
solve the problem for the next beta version.

Regards;
yusuf

| Yusuf Iskenderoglu                | You get to meet all sorts,     |
| eMail - uhc0 at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de| in this line of work...        |
| eMail - s_iskend at ira.uka.de       |                                |
| ICQ UIN : 20587464 \ TimeMr14C    |                                |