[IRCServices Coding] XML database download

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Mon Mar 18 11:51:11 PST 2002

>Having tried various browsers (IE, NetScape, Opera) and OS' (Windows and
>Linux) I am still unable to get a complete XML download from the httpd
>module. Both Opera and IE fail at the same point. Although I can get
>a "correctly" closed page (as in a subset of all records appear) with
>Netscape, not all records are listed (for example, not one of the
>admin/oper nicks are listed in the XML download!).
[...]
>At present I know that admin and oper listed nicks do not display in the
>XML download. Forbidden and noexpire nicks also seem to not display. There
>are also a large number of other nicks that do not display. Without
>checking every nick in the database I cannot confirm why they are affected.

     I can't reproduce this--I get a complete download (or at least what
looks like a complete download without feeding it back to the importer; at
the least I get channel information and oper/admin nicks).

>Since the import/export option is something that would prove useful in a
>number of scenarios, maybe in addition to the XML feature there could be an
>exporter (either in Services itself or as a seperate program similar to the
>convertdb tools) which would export/import to/from say plain text or CSV
>format.

     Um, why?  There's nothing special about XML that would cause this
problem to happen.  I'm using XML because it's self-documenting as to the
meaning of each field.  If you don't like XML write your own converter to
something else.

>I imagine this is all partly down to the fact that the xml output appears
>to get confused part way through (Netscape output follows)...
><nickgroupinfo>
><id>266</id>
><nicks count='1'>
><array-element>TamperProof</array-element>
></nicks>
><mainnick>0</mainnick>
><pass>2it_message>Diego</quit_message>
></serverstats>

     I don't get this either, at least with the previous copy of your
databases that you sent me.  Send me the current versions and I'll try
again.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/