[IRCServices Coding] XML database download

Mark Hetherington mark at ctcp.net
Mon Mar 18 12:37:20 PST 2002

> Andrew Church wrote:
>      Um, why?  There's nothing special about XML that would cause this
> problem to happen.  I'm using XML because it's self-documenting as to the
> meaning of each field.  If you don't like XML write your own converter to
> something else.

I never expressed my feelings wrt XML one way or another, merely suggested
an alternative. My reasons for suggesting an alternative were that I have
yet to see the XML download actually work correctly despite trying various
browsers and operating systems, plus for debugging what seems to trigger
the failures as I previously mentioned.

Until the database format for version 5 exists, it would be somewhat
redundant to develop an application myself that would have to be rewritten
once the new format is released.

[snip]
>      I don't get this either, at least with the previous copy of your
> databases that you sent me.  Send me the current versions and I'll try
> again.

Databases sent off list.

The problems are different again (stats information appears to be complete
yet, but no channels and many missing nicks), so the problem seems to
change as the database evolves.

--
Mark.