[IRCServices Coding] Services Admin : Global Access to Channel Settings

Mark Hetherington mark at ctcp.net
Tue Apr 9 16:38:23 PDT 2002

Adrian Cantrill wrote:
> A channel takeover situation where a channel founders password is gained
> and the services admin wishes to remove / add channel access to secure
> the situation.

/msg chanserv suspend #channel
is the easy quick fix. The founder/ops can then fix it themselves at a
later time.

/msg operserv clear #channel ops
would remove everybody with current ops requiring them to re request ops
from ChanServ or hop providing time to do whatever you feel you need to, to
rectify the situation.

/msg chanserv set #channel password newpassword
would fix the problem of a compromised password. This should obviously be
followed by pointing out the need for a decent password to the founder if
this is a common problem on your network.

There are various other commands which could be used, none of which require
comprimising the founder's right to manage their own access list.

It is up to the founder and designated ops to manage a channel, not a
services admin.

If you have problem users hacking founder passwords, surely it is better to
deal with such users or (permanently) remove them from your network than
start altering channel access lists.

> I can think of many legitimate situations where a service
> admin should have access control privileges globally. And on many other
> services distributions this is the case.

Well your single example so far can be handled far better using the current
provisions of IRCServices so the ability to manipulate the access list is
not required for that one.

IRCServices is open source so you could add your own support. It would be
quite trivial to implement as a custom patch for your network.

If as you say "many" other packages offer it, maybe one of those would be
better for you. A number of packages are branches of IRCServices so you are
likely to find such packages very similar in operation.

--
Mark.