[IRCServices Coding] Cygnus

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Thu Apr 11 17:41:23 PDT 2002

<rplume at cablemo.net>:
>Out of curiousity, how many users do you think services could handle
>efficiently?

     Earlier versions ran borderline with about 25k users from reports I
heard.  5.0 has more efficient I/O but more overhead per command, so maybe
more, maybe less, I don't know.  Obviously it all depends on the system you
run it on; I remember Services on EsperNet having lag trouble on startup
with just 700 simultaneous users, but at the time it was running on a
486/100.  Give it an Athlon 1900 or some such and maybe it can handle 100k
users, I don't know--but to be honest it's not really designed to handle
that many users efficiently.

<griever at t2n.org>:
>>      I still haven't heard of a _real_ network with 100k users, but even
>
>You've never heard of dalnet?

     I wasn't aware they had 100k simultaneous users, but then I haven't
gone there in a while.

>>      Also, it's worth noting that Services' I/O engine has been completely
>> redesigned for 5.0, so any comparisons done with 4.x don't count.
>>
>Actually, if I remember correctly 5.0 was slower. May be because of added
>features

     As mentioned above, commands have more overhead (mostly because they
use callbacks), so any comparisons done with 4.x don't count even more.

>It's of point to note that both versions of ircservices sent a lot more
>to the server. Any idea what this could be?

     Because they're friendlier and want to chat with the server more?

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/