[IRCServices Coding] Cygnus

Kelmar K. Firesun kfiresun at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 11 15:06:59 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Church" <achurch at achurch.org>
To: <ircservices-coding at ircservices.za.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 3:41 AM
Subject: Re: [IRCServices Coding] Cygnus

> <rplume at cablemo.net>:
> >Out of curiousity, how many users do you think services could handle
> >efficiently?
>
>      Earlier versions ran borderline with about 25k users from reports I
> heard.  5.0 has more efficient I/O but more overhead per command, so maybe
> more, maybe less, I don't know.  Obviously it all depends on the system
you
> run it on; I remember Services on EsperNet having lag trouble on startup
> with just 700 simultaneous users, but at the time it was running on a
> 486/100.  Give it an Athlon 1900 or some such and maybe it can handle 100k
> users, I don't know--but to be honest it's not really designed to handle
> that many users efficiently.
>
> <griever at t2n.org>:
> >>      I still haven't heard of a _real_ network with 100k users, but
even

> >You've never heard of dalnet?
>
>      I wasn't aware they had 100k simultaneous users, but then I haven't
> gone there in a while.

Current local users: 10288 Max: 25358
Current global users: 120185 Max: 135705

I don't think you'd want to go back to Dalnet anytime soon:
-twisted.ma.us.dal.net- *** Autokilled for [exp/ident] Enable ident in your
client. Send email to exploits at dal.net with a subject of [exp/ident] for
more
details. [AKILL ID:969137152K-a] (2002/04/11 14.58)

*Tries not to go on tirade about how using IDENT for security is a Bad
Idea(tm)*

> >>      Also, it's worth noting that Services' I/O engine has been
completely
> >> redesigned for 5.0, so any comparisons done with 4.x don't count.
> >>
> >Actually, if I remember correctly 5.0 was slower. May be because of added
> >features
>
>      As mentioned above, commands have more overhead (mostly because they
> use callbacks), so any comparisons done with 4.x don't count even more.

That and loadable modules, which would have the additional overhead of
context switching.  *shudder*

> >It's of point to note that both versions of ircservices sent a lot more
> >to the server. Any idea what this could be?
>
>      Because they're friendlier and want to chat with the server more?

*laugh*

Kelmar K. Firesun (IRL: Bryce Simonds)
Acting Admin: dream.esper.net