[IRCServices Coding] IRCServices and Cygwin

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Tue May 7 21:11:27 PDT 2002

>I have used Cygwin for various tasks over the last few years on Wintel
>boxes and today was playing around with a build of IRCServices under
>Cygwin.
>
>It compiles without problems with the exception of the tools. It also runs
>to a degree. At this time I have not investigated why tools do not compile
>nor why certain parts of services fail unexpectedly. (e.g. forcenickchange
>gets disabled at runtime despite connecting with an appropriate protocol
>module, I suspect an issue with static modules since configure caused
>static modules to be selected - what does services do for protocol in the
>event of a static module compilation?).

     See send.c for the details, but the protocol_xxx variables are defined
in send.c, which has a load-module handler that copies the values from
whatever protocol module is loaded.  Come to think of it, that could be the
problem--I'll take a look.

>The FAQ mentions that a Windows version does not currently exist and would
>likely be implemented through the submission of patches enabling it to run.
>Since services is almost fully functional under Cygwin, as an interim
>measure, would patches for running under Cygwin be welcomed? I will
>probably look at a native Windows port later this year when I have more
>time available and version 5 has gone "gold".
>
>BTW, on the subject of the FAQ, Questions C9 and F9 are the same
>(Unreal /gline info).

     Sounds like you're looking at an old copy of the FAQ.  As far as a
Windows port goes, I'd rather limit it to Cygwin support, because it seems
like a whole bunch of patches and conditional compilation would be needed
for native Windows support.  (You're welcome to try, of course, and let me
know how it comes out; I'll think about it if it doesn't require too many
changes to the code.)

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/