[IRCServices Coding] Some IMHO usefull features

Aragon Gouveia aragon at phat.za.net
Sun Sep 22 06:24:15 PDT 2002

| By Ekim Engin <ekim.engin at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>
|                                          [ 2002-09-22 04:54 +0200 ]
> Huge proxy atacks, or even more DDOS atacks registering 1 nick per hour
> with 500 hosts is quite disturbing. Services is sending out many mails
> (to adresses that do not exist) and we get the bounces. I implemented

This is something else that worries me with the mail-auth feature. Not so
much as being 'attacked' but also having to deal with users that didn't
understand that they should have used a valid address during registration.
As a result, we probably won't use it when we switch to version 5. I've
currently got a sendpass implementation working via our webpage which
doesn't allow more than 3 sendpass requests per hour (in total, regardless
of host). Plus it notifies the opers (via mail) when the limit is reached
(and by who). The only thing I want to do now is write a monthly cron script
that goes through every email address in our database and verifies that
it's valid (MX lookup, etc.). From the results of this script I can notify
the respective users that do not have a valid address set.. :)

Regards,
Aragon