[IRCServices Coding] session limit bug

Andrew Church achurch at achurch.org
Mon Mar 24 15:01:00 PST 2003

>Thanks, I'll have our custom services coded to kill a different way. :)
>
>Just out of curiousity, why does the RAW command screw with the servers to
>badly?

     Well, there are two answers to the question "why is the RAW command
bad?", which is what I think you mean.  One is that some IRC servers are
*ahem* less than robust with respect to bad input, and if you send a badly
formed message with the RAW command, you could end up crashing your uplink
server, or even the entire network.

     The other answer relates to Services itself; Services does not process
the RAW command because there are times (such as when testing a new IRC
protocol feature) when it would be inappropriate for Services to process
the message itself, and the RAW command is intended for use in those cases.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/