[IRCServices Coding] Issues with converting PTlink databases

Ross Carlson bytor at tribes2maps.com
Tue May 6 16:07:17 PDT 2003

I have a decent sized network (about 7000 registered users) running ptlink
ircd and services. I am going to be converting to Unreal ircd and IRC
Services soon. I have run a test, and read the docs, and I see that the
convert-db will not carry over custom channel access levels.

I would like to inquire about the possibility of modifying the convert-db
to fix this. I'm not much of a C coder, but I could probably do the work
myself if I had something resembling a specification for the ptlink
database format. I thought someone here might have that ... especially the
person that wrote the convert-db functions to begin with. Was that Andrew?

Anyway, part of the issue is the maximum and minimum levels assignable in
IRC Services. I see that they are 999/-999. In PTLink, they are 9999/-9999.
Would I "break" anything by changing those to 9999 in IRC Services?

Also, I see in the XML spec that there are fields defined for carrying over
custom access level settings for each channel. That makes me wonder why the
convert-db doesn't actually convert them. I don't want to try to add the
feature if there is a reason (other than lack of time) that it wasn't added
to begin with.

Thanks for any help anyone has to offer!

| Tribes 1 & 2 Chat Server Admin    |
| Email:  bytor at tribes2maps.com     |
|         bytor at sierra.com          |
| Server: irc.dynamix.com Port 6667 |