[IRCServices] Recommendations

Yusuf Iskenderoglu uhc0 at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Sep 9 00:59:28 PDT 1999

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Ross Carlson wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I have been tasked with maintaining an IRC server for a client, and I would
> like some recommendations. I am currently running Elite ircd 2.0 beta 15,
> with these services.
Hello
I personnally would not advise to use Elite, and definitely not a beta
version of an ircd on a network which will not be used for testing
purposes. I have used Elite quite long seperately on a test server, and
decided not to continue using it, for it seems to me that it is an ircd
designed to make life for Opers better than for normal users.
The feature, mode +x to hide a user's hostname, does NOT work the way it
should work, because
first : If your IP does not get resolved, Elite hides it as
xxx.xxx.xxx.*** and this *** becomes extremely problematic on a channel
with many users, for a ban will then match to more users than expected.
Like : +b *!*@xxx.xxx.xxx.*
Second : The Ip address is hidden, but not as it should be. The ircd makes
the real IP visible to services. This means, users that do not have the
"hide usermask on" option set, do not have hidden IP's, because in an
NickServ info display or in a Channel access list, these addresses get
visible to anyone.

> I am not sure if these services are meant to work with Elite or not, but
> there have been a few problems. Such as, when a successor is set for a
> channel, services panics and segfaults. The same thing happens when a nick
> is unlinked.
>
> I also see these errors in the log a lot, and I don't see any pattern as to
> what is happening at the time the error appears:
>
> 442 ChanServ #channel :You're not on that channel

It seems to me, that your ircd does not correctly handle the U line.
In an event, where ChanServ should akick a user from a channel, it sends
the raw :ChanServ KICK #channel nickname :reason
And raw 442 might have been sent, because the ircd things, that users that
are not in a channel, should not be able to kick users, or set modes,
orinvite users, etc. You ought to check your U line
U:services.server.name:*:*
Another possibility is the channelmodes +aq of Elite, which make a user
the owner of a channel, and protect it from kicks and bans. The time I was
using Elite, I discovered, that ChanServ even is not able to override
these modes.
> Anyway, I would like to hear everyone's recommendations on a good ircd to
> use. I would like one that is known to work well with Andy's services, or a
> set of services that I can import the current DB files into. A requirement
> of the ircd is that it partially hides hostnames.
The good choice of an ircd, that is known to work well with Andy Church's
services is Dreamforge 4.6.7, as it is the lates version known to me. The
Developers of Dreamforge are now working on another daemon, Bahamut, but
it is not more than a test version, so using it is NOT adviseable, and, it
will not work directly with services, for they have changes in the way the
ircd handles TimeStamps and Modes.
But you also could use ircu, the Undernet ircd. The first thing you have
to be careful of, is that you have to make either ChanServ join every
registered channel, or, change the code so, that the services server sets
the modes, instead of ChanServ.

> Another thing I like about Elite is that if you ban someone that is in the
> channel and you don't kick them, they are muted. Perhaps that is standard
> for all ircds, I don't know.
Yes, it is standart for all ircd's.

> Thanks for any suggestions.

regards