[IRCServices] Desired behavior of channel suspension?

&quot &quot
Tue Jan 9 16:13:14 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Church <achurch at achurch.org>
To: <ircservices at ender.shadowfire.org>
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 10:59 PM
Subject: [IRCServices] Desired behavior of channel suspension?

] ... SNIP ... [

>      - Should a suspended channel be treated like a forbidden one (no
> one can enter it) or an unregistered one (it can be used, but Services
> won't do anything do it)?  [forbidden]

I think it should be treated more as a modeless channel.  First person
to enter it is deoped.  After that services treats it as if the channel
is unregistered, but forbids people from registering it (obviously)

>      - Should Services allow changes to the channel settings?  I think
> this one is a pretty clear "no", but I'll put it up for debate.  [no]

No, otherwise it would contradict my above idea.

>      - Should Services allow the founder to drop the channel?  The
> current behavior of suspended nicknames is that the owner cannot drop
> them, but this is only because the owner cannot identify for them and
> not because Services specifically prevents dropping; I could see
> suspended channels going either way.  [undecided]

Absolutely not.  The founder could drop the channel and then re-register
the channel there by removing the suspend.  On the other hand.  You might
wish to add this in this sort of manner.

Founder sends the drop command to ChanServ.  ChanServ then tags the channel
to be dropped once the amount of time the suspension has elapsed.  I.e.
It won't actually drop the channel until the suspension has been lifted in
one way or another.

>      - Should Services allow memos to be sent to the channel?  [no]
> Incidentally, 4.4.x allows memos to be sent to suspended nicks; I'm
> planning on disabling that as well unless someone convinces me
> otherwise.

This wouldn't bother me either way.  However, I think that if it is
allowed, then the users should NOT be allowed to read those memo's
until the suspension is up.

My two cents,
Bryce Simonds (Kelmar K. Firesun)