Re Strider: [IRCServices] More suggestions

Yusuf Iskenderoglu uhc0 at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Mar 21 12:15:01 PST 2001

Hello;

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Partizanu wrote:

> Interesting thing, I see lots of people doing modifications on services...maybe
> you (all coders) would like to share `em? :)...Like makeing a page with all
> modification on services (not only by you)...maybe Mr Andrew Church would like
> `em and include `em in a future release? What do you say? Bad idea?

I do not see this necessary. If someone claims that a specific feature is
really useful, then they post it to the list, people discuss about it, and
Mr. Church finds a good way to implement it, if aggreed on inclusion.

There are too many networks, which use a modified version of services, or
even a modified ircd for some purposes. Or even changes are specific to
the ircd they use. Changes that are globally applicable to services
already manage to get included with it.

You also have to keep in mind, that if such an information is included on
the main webpage, people will not stop themselves from asking the main
coder for a support of a specific patch that patched another patch, that
patched a bug, which will definitely become annoying. You also must see,
that the coder of the given patch may not be available. That way, the one
who is designing the webpage, has to make bookkeeping, whether a patch is
actual, whether there are newer versions,, whether a link is functioning,
whether a patch is applicable to the current release, whether it is
already included.....

Regards;
yusuf

Yusuf Iskenderoglu  ***  eMail uhc0 at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de