AW: AW: [IRCServices] Backup databases?

Andy Smith grifferz at blitzed.org
Wed Nov 14 02:29:00 PST 2001

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 08:59:02PM -0000, Craig McLure wrote:
> Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut....
> Isn't the idea of *IRC*Services, for them to be used on *IRC* Networks??
> I was being sarcastic about editing thru web browser ;D

Well you shouldn't be.  Services databases in SQL format would be
wonderful, but not from a backup point of view - it's easy to set up
a regular copy of the databases to elsewhere.

No, the big win with such a thing is that you can interface it to
many other tools.  For example, it would be easy to make a web page
where every user can see their access in different channels, what
memos they have etc etc, all on one page instead of through
executing many different IRC commands.

But, it would be a lot of work for the benefit of comparatively few
people (I would imagine most users of ircservices are not that
bothered about such things).

It probably isn't even as simple a *concept* as replacing access to
data structures in memory with access to a database, because at the
moment the only thing that can modify the databases whilst services
is running, is services itself.  If a database were to be used to
full potential, other tools and interfaces could well be altering
the databases at any time without services knowledge.

If only I had the time. :)

--
The Blitzed IRC Network, http://www.blitzed.org