[IRCServices] +O overrideable by non-opers in UnrealIRCd netmerge

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Sat Aug 14 15:34:43 PDT 2004

Medice wrote:

> well this is a flaw in unrealircd (a rather heavy one in my opinion) and
> i don't think that any services-package out there should feel
> responsible on react on other's flaws - maybe someone is coding a module
> for this problem...

I know Bahamut has the +O mode too. On my network we don't have local
opers, so I haven't tried getting around it. I am guessing it would
suffer from the same problem, though.

The only way to deal with it would be for the local IRC server to kick
out any non-opers when the modes were resynched - it shouldn't be up to
services.

> the whole localop-stuff on unrealircd is a real sh.. in my opinion - I
> never understood why not distributing the local-op mode... any rights
> should stay limited local - with or without propagating this mode. In my
> opinion this is a designed desync... (usually everyone tries to avoid
> and fight desyncs instead of designing them - strange isn't it?)

This is how the local oper has been working, since opers were first
added to the ircd. It's nothing new to Unreal.

--
Chris Jenkinson
chris at starglade.org