[IRCServices] +O overrideable by non-opers in UnrealIRCd netmerge

Medice medice at gmx.at
Sat Aug 14 16:03:36 PDT 2004

> This is how the local oper has been working, since opers were first
> added to the ircd. It's nothing new to Unreal.

well i don't have on a bright knowledge of ircds and their history in
detail, but I don't believe that this is good working that way...
I personally don't like the idea of localops at the first place
(different story), but if there is such a thing it should work smoothly
- and if there are new developments which depends on previous
installations , than it might be necessary to make some minor or major
adjustments - even to old well-known stuff
f.e. chanmode +O (which is rather new I think - considering history of
IRC ;) ) blocking every non-oper, which means there must be a clear
detection either a user is an oper or not - if there are cross-checks on
remote servers if they are - or not, than they have to be informed
correctly as well...

but at first this was not about the localop/chmode+O-problem but about
netsplits and net(re)connects - also a rather well known thing which
always caused problems on networks (desync/overtaking/etc...)
I think an ircd should work smoothly on its own - services just offer
additional features and are not responsible to clean up ircd's desyncs

As I mentioned on unreal-bug-tracker on this topic "the fact that
something works as designed does not mean, that the design hasn't any
flaws..."

greets
/medice