[IRCServices Coding] Mass memos

M mark at ctcp.net
Wed Aug 13 15:10:10 PDT 2003

Saturn wrote:
> This is not spam, and should probably be only accessible by
> either Services Admins or Services OPs.  The intention is to
> announce outages, important events, etc

/os global <message>

> I did come across that after sending the email to the group.
> Sadly, it provides no help whatsoever to the memo question..
> but it did shed light on the question i asked.....

You did not ask a memo question that has an answer, you made a feature
request. The nick prefix has nothing to do with memos.

> >As an SA you can list links for a nick. A user has no need
> to determine
> >links of other users.
>
> Who decided that? you? Perhaps I would like my users to be
> able to see the
> links for each other...

I assume the developer decided that but I am more than happy for it to
be that way and would request it to be so or avoid the package if it was
not. Users may have linked nicks that they do not want everybody to know
of. Allowing access to any user will mean they just register separate
nicks again which is more work for them and defeats the advantages of
the link system.

> Frankly, logonnews is useless, and most of my users and opers
> agree.  It scrolls off too fast.  Ideally, it shoudl have a
> delay to prevent it being lost in the system notices on
> connection.  Maybe a 10 second delay beforee it flashes by,
> to give the user time to connect, etc, and then they might
> actually SEE it.

That is hardly a services issue. The IRCd would be the place to add
false delays into the login process.

I doubt users would welcome having a connection to the network paused
for such a reason.

> Most users I know don't tend to make a
> habit of readin gth ebacklog in their status windows when
> they connect to the network......

Many users do not check memos on a regular basis either so spamming via
memoserv would just fill their memo box and they are still are not
guaranteed to be read. They could also add you to their ignore list so
your message would not get through in any case.

> Anyhow these were just friendly suggestions, tryign to solve
> a problem I have.  I don't plan to simply go "OK well, since
> one or two others out there think my ideas are dumb for them,
> obviously I ought to abandon them, because they MUST be dumb"
>  That attitude is ignorant, and I think my suggestions had
> weight and merit.  Your objections have merit too, but I see
> you did not suggest any useful alternatives or workarounds...

You stated in your original message that there were alternative services
packages that provide this. You also said you would not consider using
logonnews. Pointing out the obvious seemed a pointless exercise.

As suggested above, "mass memos" would not solve your "problem".

M.

---